Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Family That Flees Together, Trees Together

I'm a huge HUGE fan of the NPR Radio Show This American Life.  The other day at work I was streaming an episode called American Limbo this episode actually aired back in 2001, but was reaired last week.  I was particularly struck by the first act about the Jarvis family, a family of eight who's on the run from the law for seven years. During this seven year span the family lives on a boat, in a swamp, in a tree house. The crazy part is all the kids turn out to be pretty normal and fairly unfazed about the whole thing.  I found it amazing to hear a story of this family that just makes due with what they have and also learning different trades and handy work to get by month by month.  I mean if I had to share a 8x8 bedroom with my three sisters for three years I don't think I could make it.  Don't get me wrong I love my sisters, but I have to be honest I'd go nuts. I love the way they presented the family in this episode, they paint a beautiful picture of simplicity and unity. It's a good reminder that sometimes living simply, brings out what matters most and in this case it's a great family bond. While I don't necessarily support them running from the law, but somehow by the end of the episode I found myself routing for this family not to get caught. I'm almost tempted to sale everything and go live on a boat for the next five years. If you have some spare time you should listen to this episode.  http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/177/american-limbo, or just listen to the first act it really is amazing. To end this blog post I'd like to give a shout out to This American Life for bringing a new perspective to the table week after week, for making me think outside of the box from time to time, and for the entertainment you have brought me episode after episode (check out the radio show archives). 

1 comment:

  1. I heard this story too on NPR and i was so fascinated I parked in front of my friend's house, allowing my kids to go in, until the broadcast was over. I have always wanted to live without electricity, out in the woods, growing my own food. I wanted my daughter to hear this and read about this family, I thought it might teach her something. (I lost custody at 19 when she was 14 months to her 18 year old father and 16 yr old wife when i sued him for cs and i got her back at 15 and they had raised her selfish and materialistic)Thanks for posting because i couldn't find it right away on a search. It's a shame not everyone knows of NPR!

    ReplyDelete