I went with this girl:

A few pictures at the CICFO Orphanage:


I was inspired as I worked with the amazing children and people that run the orphanage. The orphanage was started by two Khmer women named Keo Botevey and Ouk Vanneth. As the story was once told to me of how the orphanage was started I was touched by the courage and perseverance it has taken for these women to start and run this orphanage. It is kept going through the volunteer work by many wonderful women (see picture below). These women are currently keeping 32 children off the streets of Cambodia.

I was given a written account of how these two women met and how the orphanage was started. This account was written by Keo Botevey. I wanted to share it here, but it's too long, so if any of you are interested in reading it email me at alysebitty@gmail.com and I will send it to you. Their story is remarkable.
I just found out today, that the LDS church sent a film crew to Cambodia for a feature called "The Church in Cambodia" It will be shown at the Sunday break between sessions of General Conference on April 4, 2010. The feature will also be available on the KSL website after General Conference. This feature will include footage taken from the orphanage. It should include footage of Vanneth and Botevey and the children. I hope you will all watch this at some point as their story has truly been an inspiration to me and has touched my life forever. I'm really excited to see how the children have grown up since I left in October 2007.
I loved hearing about your experience to CICFO. I wanted to let you know that I found your blog post using google. I'm a co-founder of The Global Outreach Foundation which is currently helping support CICFO orphanage. If you're interested in keeping up to date with what's going on, check it out here: http://www.theglobaloutreach.org/projects/cambodia/cicfo/ - We are also re-doing their website for them so they can easily accept donations. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.
ReplyDelete