A couple of years ago my friend Brett Robertson wrote this amazing blog post about texting. He no longer has a blog so I asked him (a while ago) if I could share it with the blogging world since it's to good not to be. I hope you like it as much as I did, because not only is it true but it's hilarious. ENJOY!
After much consideration, and observations in the past years I have decided to address a subject that is prevalent in most every single-adults life. assuming that the single adult is somewhat social (however this may also apply to those people that don't seem to have an aptitude for dating.) As each of us know single adults send out many texts in the course of any given week. Imagine sending a text to a guy or a girl you are interested in, a text that you and maybe your friends find to be very witty-which coincidentally enough probably took you about two hours to compose with countless drafts and edits to construct. After sending you wait in anticipation... now I know that everyone has done this at some point in their life, so now I do not wish to address the writing of the text, no, no what I wish to address is even more ridiculous.
What I find so fascinating is that immediately after sending the text three things begin to happen. First, you instantly become the most pessimistic person in the world. Never mind the fact that the recipient may be busy or may not have their phone, if we don't get a response immediately we begin to question our desirability. We begin to question if anyone will ever like us again, and why, because it's been two minutes without a response. Now this is a remarkable phenomenon, however it is hardly part of the equation that is truly baffling. The downright crazy part is that two other things start to happen. First for you men, your leg begins to phantom vibrate and for you ladies your purse appears to jump, or oscillate due to phantom vibrations as you anticipate the response. Second you begin to look at your phone every two minutes. You find yourself looking at your phone, hoping you missed the text chime or somehow didn't feel the vibration, even though you know that missing an incoming text at any particular moment would be completely impossible. Why do we do this? When your phone does ring and a text does come, but it is not from the person you'd hoped, you are genuinely mad, and disappointed. At that particular moment it doesn't matter who responds or calls if it is not responsive to your original text. I wish I knew why we acted in such a way, but one thing I do know is that we've all done it. Texting seems to cause pessimistic doubts, legs and purses to phantom vibrate, and feelings of anxiety, rage, and disappointment to heighten. I wish we could do away with texting, but then again I know we would just run into the same problems if we called and had to leave a message. So, text away my friends, text away.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment